- About Museum
- Selected Exhibition Objects
Vinča is inseparably tied to the name of its first researcher, Professor Miloje Vasić, who carried out archaeological investigations at this place between 1908 and 1934. With interruptions, these investigations have been continued until the present.
During the Neolithic times, over a period longer than one thousand years, fishermen, farmers, weavers, potters, hunters, livestock breeders, tribal magicians and stonecutters lived and worked together. Vinča had a central place in a broader area. The abundance of findings and Vinča's long history show that the settlement had a prominent place both on local and regional scales. This is also confirmed by numerous finds of luxury goods originating from the Aegean coasts, located at a thousand kilometre's distance from Vinča. Owing to the findings from the Neolithic period, and particularly the anthropomorphic figurines, Vinča has been included into the map of the world heritage. However, the significance of the Belo Brdo archaeological site at Vinča does not rest only in Neolithic remains. The discoveries of the pits dating from the Copper and Bronze ages (between 4000 and 2000 BC), as well as medieval necropolises from the period between the eighth and 15th centuries, have shown that Vinča has also been inhabited, though with interruptions, after the Neolithic period, until the present.
The exhibited items, found between 1978 and 2001, illustrate the millennia-long continuity of life at Vinča.