Menu

1976.

  • A new competition for the project of the building of the Belgrade City Museum
  • The Memorial Museum of Ivo Andrić was opened to public

 A new competition for the project of the building of the Belgrade City Museum was organized in 1976. Although the awards for the best projects were delivered, none of the projects was realized for financial reasons.

After the competition of 1954 had failed to provide the housing solution for the Museum, the allocation of a larger edifice to the Museum was a subject of much public discussion. However, all of the offered solutions were given up and it was decided, for the second time, that a new competition for the project of the museum building should be organized. It was concluded that a new building, fully suited to the function, should be erected in the city centre. The site foreseen for the building was almost the same as that of 1954. According to a decision of the City Assembly, the Detailed Urban Plan for the block delimited by Knez Mihailova, Tadeusz Kościuszko, Uzun Mirkova and 7. Jula (Kralja Petra) streets was to be made.

The architectural project for the Belgrade City Museum was expected to incorporate the building into the heritage area at the most attractive site in the city, in the immediate vicinity of Kalemegdan. The heritage-listed buildings already on the site should have been subject to a special conservation programme. The entire body of museum professionals working at the Belgrade City Museum led by the then director, Jovan Todorović, were involved in drafting the concept of the Museum’s permanent exhibition in order to include various complementary programmes in the project requirements for the future Museum.Forty-nine projects were submitted, five of which were awarded. Like in the competition of 1954, none of the awarded projects was adopted for realization.

The project that was awarded the first prize, designed by architect Jovan Krajger, was not realized. On October 18, 1976, the Belgrade City Museum organized the exhibition Competition Projects for the Urban Planning Solution of the Block Delimited by Knez Mihailova, Pariska, Uzun Mirkova and 7. Jula Streets and the Architectural Project for the Belgrade City Museum at the National Museum in Belgrade. By a decision of the City Assembly, the property of Ivo Andrić was heritage listed and entrusted to the Belgrade City Museum immediately following his death on March 13, 1975. The Memorial Museum of Ivo Andrić was opened to public in 1976 at the apartment in No. 2 Proleterskih Brigada, presently No.8 Andrićev Venac, in which the writer had lived.

Log In

Forgot your password? / Forgot your username?