Menu

1970.

  • The Department of Public Relations, Publishing and Education was established; the Museum’s logo was created
  • The Museum of Paja Jovanović was opened to public
  • The Legacy of Pava and Milan Sekulić was opened to public

The Department of Public Relations, Publishing and Education was established. Mirjana Filipović, art historian who was the head of this department, designed a draft logo of the Belgrade City Museum on the occasion of the celebration of the Museum’s anniversary in 1973. The final design of the logo was made by Vojislav Perović, academically trained painter.

Paja Jovanović first visited Belgrade in 1910, upon invitation of King Petar Karađorđević. Although he never spent much time in Belgrade due to his painting commitments all over the globe, it remained a place to which he eagerly returned. After the plan to build an art studio for him in Belgrade had been abandoned with the break-out of World War II, in 1950 Paja Jovanović started a correspondence with the officials of the Belgrade City Museum about establishing his legacy in Belgrade. He wanted to bequeath to the City the pieces of his work and items of his painting equipment that he considered “worth preserving”, so that a studio could be set up – the master’s room attracting those who would like to learn something more about him and his art. The Legacy, including more than 800 items was put under the auspices of the Belgrade City Museum in 1952. In accordance with the artist’s will, after his death in Vienna on November 30, 1957, the urn with his ashes was handed over to the Museum. Respecting his wish, the urn was transferred to Belgrade and buried at the Alley of Meritorious Citizens at the Novo Groblje cemetery in Belgrade on the very same day – June 11, 1970 – when the Belgrade City Museum fulfilled his second wish by opening to public the Museum of Paja Jovanović.

A great collection of Paja Jovanović’s works is exhibited in a specially adapted apartment in No. 21 Kralja Milana Street. The permanent exhibition was inaugurated by the then Belgrade Mayor, Branko Pešić, on June 11, 1970. At that moment, it included about 800 items – artist’s personal objects, sketches, drawings, photographs and paintings. Two years later, the collection was enlarged by the gift of the painter’s wife Hermina – Muni Dauber, who bequeathed to the Belgrade City Museum eleven paintings made by Paja Jovanović from her private collection and several pieces of antique furniture, as well as her funerary urn, which was transferred to Belgrade after her death and buried at the Alley of Meritorious Citizens at the Novo Groblje cemetery.

Pava Sekulić, the wife of architect Milan Sekulić, gifted to the Belgrade City a rich art collection, which was passed on as a legacy to the Belgrade City Museum in 1981.

Log In

Forgot your password? / Forgot your username?