- The Museum’s Specialized Library as a separate department
- The Museum of Illegal Partisan Printing-Houses became a part of the Belgrade
- The Fourth of July Museum became a part of the Belgrade City Museum
The Museum’s Specialized Library was established in 1950 as a separate museum department. n 1957, its holdings included 3,807 items. Interestingly, the library holdings were not treated separately from the museum holdings.
The Museum of Illegal Partisan Printing-Houses was founded on May 1, 1950. In the eve of World War II, a building was erected on the property of Dana and Branko Maksimović with the purpose of housing a secret printing service of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia’s Central Committee. The construction was funded by the Communist Party of Yugoslavia, whereas the building project was designed by Đorđe Andrejević Kun, painter and graphic artist. German occupation authorities remained unaware of the secret rooms and equipment in the building though it was occupied by German officers since August 1943 until the end of the war. The printed materials and printing equipment were housed in the basement whose walls were covered with straw bales. The entrance to the basement was smartly disguised and was located on the first floor, under a cupboard. The exhibition of the Museum of Illegal Partisan Printing-Houses presented printing equipment, documents and original certificates, proclamations and bulletins printed there to be delivered in Belgrade streets in a half-hour’s time; a great part of these materials were delivered to other parts of the country. The Museum had been open to public till 2000, when the heirs of Branko Maksimović, after a court procedure, were granted the building by the then city government, despite the fact that it was listed as a cultural monument.
A very important meeting at which the Politburo the Communist Party of Yugoslavia’s Central Committee made the historical decision to initiate the uprising in Yugoslavia took place in the house belonging to the Ribnikar family, built in 1934 by architect Vladislav Ribnikar, the then Director of the daily newspaper Politka. On May 1, 1950, a museum presenting documents related to the events of 1941 in Yugoslavia was opened in that building. Twelve years later it was reorganized to become the memorial house of the Fourth of July. When the Josip Broz Tito Memorial Centre was established in 1982, the Fourth of July Museum became a part of it.
- Fourth of July Museum Fourth of July Museum
- Museum of Illegal Partisan Printing-Houses Museum of Illegal Partisan Printing-Houses