The Building of the Zemun Municipal Building After a 1944 Bombing Raid
- Date: April 17, 1944
- Technique: photograph
- Dimensions: 12x9 cm
- Inventory number: I2/2 3450
The one-story building of the Zemun Municipal Government, located in No. 1 Magistratski Trg, was built in 1886 after the project designed by the City Engineer, Dragutin Kapus. It was heavily damaged on April 17, 1944 in an Allied Forces bombing raid. A bomb fell near its main entrance, blew up its central section and damaged the main staircase and several rooms on the ground floor. The ruins were soon cleared and the building was repaired in order to enable normal functioning of the municipal authorities. The edifice was reconstructed between 1946 and 1950 after a project designed by architect Rajko Tatić, who sought to preserve the style of the original building. It was on that occasion that the building was expanded to Preradovićeva Street and extended by another floor.